Since I had some questions about how accounts get handled on is-a-furry.org, here’s how:
- Everyone can register an account. They are free of charge and free to use.
- The IAF staff gets a message if a new account is created. With this we make sure that our server does not get overrun by bots.
- Connections to is-a-furry.org are SSL encrypted (via homepage, and via chat programs) non-encrypted connections are getting refused.
- this means: If a server tries to open a connection to IAF.org, IAF requests a encrypted connection. If the other server can’t open an encrypted connection, IAF.org does not send or accept any data.
- connections to Google talk are not possible due googles policy not to provide encryption
- Accounts wich are inactive for more than 6 month are getting deleted automatically
- Accounts which are not activated are getting deleted every day at 12.00 A.M. CET (3.00 p.m. PST)
Here are some informations you should know about is-a-furry.org:
- Is-a-furry.org does NOT create any profile of you
- Is-a-furry.org does NOT collect any data of you or records any informations
- Is-a-furry.org does NOT save passwords in plain text. They are hashed and salted.
- Is-a-furry.org is NOT able to look at your password. We can just set a new one.
What informations does IAF.org have about you?
- We have all informations you enter into your Jabber profile. These informations are public to everyone.
- IAF.org saves offline messages. These offline messages are not encrypted, except you use GnuPG or OTR! This is a process of the serversoftware we are using and can’t be changed. But those messages are stored on an encrypted harddisk and can’t be accessed by outstanders. Only one person has access to the server for scheduled maintenance.
- If you login and your login fails, the failed login attempt will get logged with your IP address and the time when you tried. If you have a successful login there will only be a one liner like “(01.01.2015 12:00:01 email@example.com login successful)” – those logfiles are getting deleted automatically after 7 days. Those logfiles exist for bughunting reasons and are not viewed except there is an issue.
We are not a company like facebook or google. We are not selling any data or some crap like this. We don’t need to rely on money from someone else to keep our services running. But if you support us, it would be very nice and helpful.
Why do we keep a service like Is-a-furry.org running? Because we wanted a jabber/xmpp/email service with this domain. And there is no difference between one user using this service, or 1000 user using this service. But if you want to help us, you can donate whenever you want. Your money will be used for IAF.org only.